Thursday, November 18, 2010

Visit to the Hut

Went up and visited my hut today, and MAN, Its so beautiful up there right now.

Clean, cold, and light powder is all over everything, and my shack is still standing!

Im going to pick up a wood stove this weekend it looks like, and hopefully install it then too. Depends on how heavy it is.

I also sweated a crap load of 9-12foot lengths of wood into the shack, and what I mean by a Crap Load is 4 lengths... It FELT like alot!! Or maybe im just weak.

I was able to get the site more set-up for winter now also, and brought all the camping stove/pots and gear in, and cleaned up the shack from over-snow.

Consolidated my wood pile and re-tarped that.

Came into town after and did my recycling and talked with a person from Valhalla Pure about where to do some ski-touring around here(Backcountry/Skinning), and she gave me a bit of info, though Im still quite in the air about what Im going to do this winter, ski-wise.

Looks like I might be forced to fork out the 900$ after taxes for a seasons pass to Big White, if I want to get any turns in this winter. As skinning on my skis might not be possible in the okanagan, or at least I might not find someone to do it with, as skiing in the backcountry is not a solo-sport.

** By the way;
Skinning is the term used for trekking on your skis/splitboard, up the mountain to ski down it after. Back in the day, seal skin was actually used and attached to the bottom of your ski. The seal skin is very smooth one way and very rough the other, essentially making it easy to slide forward, and giving you friction backwards.
These days the skins' are sinthetic, but work great, and really is a MUCH easier, (And enjoyable), form of travel through the snow, than are snow-shoes.


I got some photos of the road up today and of the shack when I got there (Covered with snow) unfortunately, leave it to me to abuse electronics. So right now my phone is giving me a hard time and not allowing a connection to my computer.

Stay tuned for a bunch of photos of last weekend and today...

No comments: