Monday, November 8, 2010

Pow Pow, and the toys of snow. Dreams of a better tomorrow

All heavenly Pow,

How I long for your fresh whiteness. The turns of a lifetime, the fresh air and feeling of floating.







Those thoughts get me thinking about the fact that I dont really have a set-up to go back-country skiing right now.

I got all the, expensive, avalanche equipment, and I have a back country snowboard thats spit and the skins for the board. BUT

Telemark has gotten me hooked these last couple years. It is the ultimate method of cutting turns. And I feel like its time to invest in a good set-up for winter. Ive been playing in snow for more than half my life now, and only once bought a proper set-up. It happened to be a snowboard set-up many many years ago, and served me well until it got stolen.

I bought some cheap tele gear last winter (Under 100$ for ski bindings and boots) and it confirmed my desire to cut some knee hugging turns, for life.

But DAMN!, so expensive for a good set-up.

Nice thing is that the tele boots last so-long these days, the way they are built compared to the old leathers.

Maybe when those big checks roll in, Ill bite the bullet and buy the expensive boots (600$+), I have bindings that will do right now, and can find a decent pair of skis for cheapish. But tele-boots you cant really buy second hand. There is no break-in, basically if it fits it fits, if it doesn't theres nothing you can do.

Or so i've read.

They are, for some reason, even worse for break-in than your average plastic ski-boot.




With some epic boots, and some decent skis and skins, im ready to hit some epic back country trips. Just gotta hit the Craigslist and Castanet.net for some guys(girls) to hit some gnarly backcountry. 

No comments: